WordPress recently conducted their first ever user and developer survey. Over 18,000 responses were received from all over the world.
The results show most developers are using WordPress as a complete content management system, and not just blogging software. WordPress is the platform for a huge number of new business sites, and there are experienced WordPress developers on every continent except Antarctica.
- 14.7% of the top million websites in the world use WordPress.
- 22% of new active domains in the US are running WordPress.
- 61% of WordPress developers use it as a content management system without a blog.
- Only 8% of WordPress sites are developed specifically as a blog.
- There are over 6,800 WordPress developers worldwide.
Details and a “State of the Word” address are available here: http://wordpress.org/news/2011/08/state-of-the-word/